Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Spoon Theory



Hello friends! 
Today, I had the need to share a little something with you. It's called, *da da da Da* 
THE SPOON THEORY. (As you might have guessed).
 A little while ago, a women with Lupus tried to explain to her friends and family what it was like to be a sufferer of a chronic illness. I thought I'd share my own interpretation of her story and, just like she, try to explain a small bit of what it's like to live inside my body. 

Imagine you have an aliment of some sort. Every day you're given a certain amount of spoons. When you exert yourself and complete a daily task, you lose a spoon. But remember, you experience pain, tiredness, dizziness, sickness, and nausea. So every step you take is labored and worrisome. Showering takes a spoon. Making yourself breakfast steals a spoon. Even getting dressed can snatch a spoon from your grasp depending on the day.
If I start my day with twelve spoons, I might not have one left to hang out with friends, or go run errands. Counting your spoons for the day can give you a new perspective on life. 
People take small tasks for granted. I may be out of breath and exhausted from just walking around my own house. And then I may be okay skipping around the mall or park with people. I never know what kind of day I'm going to face when I take in that morning breath. When my bare feet hit the carpet. When my eyes flash open. 
Will I have a headache today? Will my back be in pain from the previous day? Will I experience dizziness, nausea, fatigue? Will I have energy? Or will I be in bed most of the day? How long will I stay awake? Will this be a difficult day?
Questions fill my mind every morning. What kind of day will this be?  

I challenge you to look a little closer at the tasks you place before you. Don't take things for granted. Stop to think about what you're doing. 

Life can become routined and tiresome. But today search deeper. 

~Sayda <3

No comments :

Post a Comment